Thursday, July 10, 2008

Do you know about EFT?

You've seen other people do it for years, they swipe a card or click a mouse and a purchase is made. But what is really happening is EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer). Whenever we swipe our cards and transfer money online, use an ATM, make an online purchase, inter-account transfer, direct deposit or online bill pay, we are using EFT.

EFT can be good for the environment. As many as 2.3 million tons of wood (about 16.5 million trees) would be saved every year if all U.S. households viewed and paid bills online instead of getting paper statements. The bad news, instead of someone stealing cash from your wallet, there’s the risk of identity theft. That’s why there are common safety features associated with EFT that help to authenticate the card and card holder:

  • Signature verification
  • Personal Identification Number (PIN)
  • Magnetic strip information (on credit and debit cards)
  • CVV code - printed into the signature panel on the back of your card
  • Password protection (for online account access)

PIN and signature-based debit card use has topped $800 billion annually in recent years. Instead of carrying cash, we're using EFT by swiping our cards and clicking online, saving time and money.

To start using EFT, simply apply for a savings, checking, or credit card account. Soon you'll be able to access your funds quickly and efficiently. You should regularly monitor your scheduled bill withdrawals, direct deposits and online purchases to make sure that all transactions are legitimate.

6 comments:

  1. I never carry cash unless I need it for a specific purpose. I'm all about using my debit card and online bill pay because it is so much more convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swipe and sign, how much more convenient can this be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love having cash on me but there is nothing like using my debit card for everything from online to in person purchases :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I love most about using my debit card, is that if my purse gets stolen and my card is used fradulently, I can dispute the charges. That wouldn't be the case with cash.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using my visa debit card, because it is safe and convenient!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used my debit card five times today, sometimes I forget to withdraw cash at an ATM. Having a Visa Debit card is sooooooo convenient.

    ReplyDelete